Thursday, August 8, 2019

Forever Late Review! - No Man's Sky

This is a thing you can do.
I've been playing No Man's Sky finally. Does that means its time for another Forever Late Review?
Of course I haven't ever done one of these by name, but since I never seem to get around to buying and playing games when they are new... this sounds like a plan. To be fair, I've only picked it up in the last week and a half. So new to me, right? Okay, Lets go!



So for anyone who is also under a rock, (mind you I saw it when it came out and thought, "Maybe later when I can afford it.") No Man's Sky is a 1st/3rd Person Sandbox crafting game set in the Universe. You wake up, use the tutorial to fix up your ship, then Go explore! Patent Pending. The whole universe is procedurally generated with 1 biome worlds. Each solar system has one space station where you can hire peeps and get trading done, and so forth.

The ship you start with has limited capabilities, and you have to trade up or outright purchase other ships. So far, I have been unable to play enough to make the money to do the thing. So I am going to assume that it will really help you get extra space. Inventory storage is a huge issue, and one of the main game-play mechanics. I did find a crash landed ship, that I gained control of. Now I just have to find the resources necessary to repair it to gain a new ship. Unfortunately, I left without writing down the co-ordinates. Now I have to search a whole planet for the ship again.... Ugh. It will just be easier to find a new ship with another distress beacon.

I haven't played the multiplayer at all, through a combination of several factors. One, I'm pretty sure everyone else ever has all ready played it. Two, I don't have a ton of video gaming friends. Three, the way the original launch happened, it took a while to get implemented in a patch. Though there is another patch coming this year apparently. Go team?

The problems with the game are several, but are not deal breakers right now. Ironically for me, there is almost to much to do. I have found if you pick a direction on a planet and fly, you will hit a half dozen little encampments where you can batter loot and talk to random schmucks. Another problem is once you arrive at a location, you have no way in game of saving that mark on your radar. There is supposed to be a thing you can build to do the job eventually, but I'm resorting to a notebook and the co-ordinates built into my ship. Finally, There is so little inventory storage in a game built around he mechanics of building and upgrading. Seriously, give me another 8 to 12 inventory spots and I would be happy. Worse is that all upgrades to suits/ships/weapons take up inventory space as well.

So, Overall I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 with an extra bit more if the next patch gives me more inventory.  Any advise on how I can suck less? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment