The stars outside sparkled and streaked, flying past the view port. Gaile watched the passing glinting lines contemplatively. She fought the urge to yawn, brushing her red hair away from her eyes. Soon, the ship would land in Buenos Sochi. Gaile flicked her eyes to the camera screens. The boxes of goods in storage sat unmoving. The last few hours of a transport job always bored her out of her mind. "Ugh, When do we arrive again? This is such a pain." She tapped the navigation screen on the control panel. "I don't know how you can read this thing."
Wesk hunched over the ship controls, moving levers and pressing buttons. "And I haven't a notion on how the engine works or the ship keeps good air in here." He scratched at his black hair absentmindedly. "Ya'll keep the Meitner in ship shape, I'll keep her going the right way. Look, we'll be there in just another hour. Hold yer britches." Gaile glared at him, "I'm waiting just fine. Why don't you just focus on flying." Wesk smirked and snatched the intercom from the panel. "Attention all passengers! We is gonna be arriving in sunny Weir City on Mars in just under an hour. The local time is gonna be just before dusk, so our captain will get the delivery done in time to go get sloshed before bed tonight! Don't forget to tip yer server." He hung up the hand unit, with an idiot grin.
Gaile punched him. At least she threw a punch, the pilot and co-pilot seats were to far apart for her to reach him. "Really. Our cargo of novelty bobble head figures needs a big speech?" She tapped the navigation screen again. "You're coming with me to get sloshed. And don't you forget it." She waived a finger at him. A flashing panel drew her eye, "Engine's flipping out over something. I'll be back" Gaile clicked the harness off, stretching while standing up. "Should make this hour go by fast at least."
___________________
The engine room clanked and whirred while pulsing lights glowed from the console. Gaile hopped in, skipping the steps from the door to the floor. She tugged the flat screen away from the wall, working through displays and readouts. "Found it!" she prodded a reading onto the full screen. "We seem to be low on coolant." Gaile bounded the stairs taking all three at once, pulling herself up with the door handle. To the right, the escape pod doors sat illuminated at the end of the corridor. Gaile glanced at them, giving them a once over. A quick visual inspection never hurt anyone.
Down the left corridor, Gaile headed towards the cargo bay. The bay door opened into a large storage area, filled with wooden crates. The shipment of bobble heads sat still, strapped to the floor where they would stay safe and profitable. Along the wall, closed storage compartments held all manner of supplies and tools. Gaile strode over to the second one, opening it up and taking stock. Inside, the container brimmed with pails and bottles of different coolants. "Lets see, I need probably... 2 decaliters." She grabbed a larger pail, slid it out and set it on the floor. Closing the compartment, Gaile spun around, and snagged the handle on the pail. "Time to cool the beast." she hummed as she left.
_______________________
Closing the coolant hatch, Gaile sat down on the now empty pail. "Okay, let see how time is left now." Grabbing the intercom handset off the wall, she held it to her face. "Hey, Cowboy! How much time left now?" a few seconds later the intercom hissed into life. "Well Princess, you only left here about 15 min ago. So lets say 45 min now." Wesk's voice garbled out the speakers. "I guess you could let the ship break more often. You would be much busier then." Gaile rolled her eyes at the intercom, "Maybe I don't want to die in a fire in space. I'll be up in a second, I'm going to check on your squire."
After putting the pail back into storage, Gaile started walking back to the bridge. En route, she stopped at the crew cabin closest to the engine bay. Knocking, she opened the door, not waiting for an answer. The lone figure inside stood inside the charging stand welded where a bed normally sat. On the opposite wall hung a display case filled with many small robot models. Underneath, a workbench sat, with no chair in front. Gaile crossed the spartan room and tapped the shoulder of the android locked in place. "Hey Destro, are you doing okay? We're going to be landing soon." The Android's eyes opened up giving Gaile a flat stare. "How soon, and are you really just bored of waiting? Again."
Gaile grinned at him, "That's not fair, it really is going to be soon. Like another 40 minutes or so." She twiddled her hands, "I'm not bored anyway, I just wanted to see if you were charged yet." The Android's flat stare continued "Sure, I believe you. I guess its time to head up anyway." Destro stretched, several of his limbs bending more than their human equivalent could possibly bend. The pair left the room heading to the bridge, for the landing procedures.

No comments:
Post a Comment