( Note This happens duringa break between sections of the last entry.)
The streets seemed to be uneven as Gaile walked back in the direction of the docks. She took an uncertain step grabbing Wesks arm for support. Wesk slowed down a little, giving her a chance to get her balance. "Gaile, why do you do this?" Wesk sighed, "Obviously, the asshat deserved it. Just one of these days... I worry about you, yeh know."
Gaile looked at Wesk sidelong, the alcohol was really starting to get to her. "Look, Cowboy. These guys are crap, and if they didn't run into me...hic Well, they'd run into some other girl who's not prepared for that kind of action." Gaile smiled, "That should happen to anyone... Least of all someone who just wants a drink." Her smile faded, and her face got very subdued. "It just shouldn't happen to anyone. And if it takes a few beatings here and there to get it, then so be it." She kicked a small rock on the side of the road, stumbling with the change in balance.
Grabbing her by the arm, Wesk pulls Gaile back to vertical. "I know them assholes need whats coming to them. But you didn't answer my question, Darlin. Why does it have to be you?" She glared at him. "I ought to break your nose, Cowboy. Maybe I don't wanna answer." She put her hand to her head, lost in thought. "Shut it." Wesk glanced around, "It's real nice out tonight, so at least it makes the stroll nice." Gaile shrugged, "It'd be nicer if you had let me keep working on him." She stumbled again, swaying madly from foot to foot. "Eh, you and I both know that would be a terrible idea." Wesk shook his head.
"Still," Gaile slurred "I'm helping people. Still." Wesk looked at her. "Of course you are darling, You're doing the good work." He pulled sideways as she stumbled towards a light pole. "I woulda dodged that." Gaile whined, waving a hand at Wesk. Wesk leaned back avoiding the flailing blow. Yeah, she was definitely black out drunk now.
"You know, sometimes I feel terrible about what I'm doing..." Gaile suddenly lurched violently to the left. Barely making it to the alley, she vomited into the trash pile. "You know, never mind. It was just the drinks." Wesk got his arm under her shoulder. "Now I only have to get you home and in bed, and yewll be all better." "Shut it."
Abruptly, a beeping noise pealed from Gailes pocket. "Oh shit. That's my phone!" Fumbling in her pocket she brought out the phone and squinted at it. "I got a text from Carlos! I should tell him about his pretty eyes." Wesk gently snagged the phone out of her hand. "Why don't you just deal with this in the morning when you're sober." Gaile glared at him, "First, Shut it. Second, Yeah that's a good idea. How much farther, Cowboy?" Wesk nodded, "I'd say no more than another 10 to 15 min or so. We're making good time tonight."
The last section of the walk back to the ship was the most quiet part of the journey. Gaile was pretty easy to carry once she passed out. Street lights flashed and flickered as Wesk worked his way from street to street. In the end, it took him more than a half hour to finish the trip home. Opening the hatch door, Wesk yelled. " Hey Destro, Hurry up and give me a hand! She's not getting any lighter!"
In a few minutes, Destro clambered up, whirring mechanically. "So she drank too much again?" He intoned. "Let's get her to bed." Wesk shouldered Gaile into Destro's waiting arms. The robot gently carried Gaile to her room. Wesk rolled his neck, sighed, and headed off to his cabin.
The Robot worked the hatch on Gailes door, twisting the handle with perfect precision. Inside, it worked around the work bench with half built gizmos and parts for the ship. It gently laid her down in the berth on the side of the room. Covering her up with some blankets, it turned and left.

No comments:
Post a Comment